Thread: New to site...diagnosed with depression...now thinking low T

New to site...diagnosed with depression...now thinking low T

I am a 56 year old retired/visually impaired teacher who is being treated for depression. The meds I'm on don't do much or anything for that matter. 2 years ago I had blood work for low T and the number was 390. My doctor said that was on the low side but did not want to treat me for fear of testicular cancer. I trusted him and went on with my slowly worsening depression. Now, after much research about low T, I seem to have every single symptom except obesity. I am fatigued to the point where I don't want to get out of bed. When I do get out of bed I don't want to face another day of not feeling like my old self. I was always the life of the party and now I don't want to go to the party. At this point, I guess I'm probably preaching to the choir. This past week I went back to my doctor and showed him several articles about how low T can can cause major depression. He agreed to have my blood checked again and now my number is 490. He told me that 750ish would be a good number IF he could persuade the insurance company (United Health) to pay for Androgel. Have any of you run into this problem? And if so, do you have any suggestions. I'm just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    I am a 56 year old retired/visually impaired teacher who is being treated for depression. The meds I'm on don't do much or anything for that matter. 2 years ago I had blood work for low T and the number was 390. My doctor said that was on the low side but did not want to treat me for fear of testicular cancer. I trusted him and went on with my slowly worsening depression. Now, after much research about low T, I seem to have every single symptom except obesity. I am fatigued to the point where I don't want to get out of bed. When I do get out of bed I don't want to face another day of not feeling like my old self. I was always the life of the party and now I don't want to go to the party. At this point, I guess I'm probably preaching to the choir. This past week I went back to my doctor and showed him several articles about how low T can can cause major depression. He agreed to have my blood checked again and now my number is 490. He told me that 750ish would be a good number IF he could persuade the insurance company (United Health) to pay for Androgel. Have any of you run into this problem? And if so, do you have any suggestions. I'm just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Depression is a common symptom of low testosterone. Unfortunately, many anti-depression medications if not most also lower testosterone levels. We've had several clients over the last few months who were on anti-depressants and many have called to tell us they no longer need them after beginning testosterone treatment or have reduced the need for them.

Testosterone and testicular cancer or testosterone and prostate cancer....all of those types of things...this has been proven false numerous times but many physicians tend to hold to one study that was released approximately 50 years ago that dealt with one specific man in one specific case. Since that time Abraham Morgentaler among others has absolutely destroyed this long standing false beliefs. However, once again soe physicians still hold to the old way of thinking. Many physicians, when they learn something that's it, there's no changing and there's certainly no other answer. Fortunately, all of our physicians understand this and are trained in testosterone therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Im thinking it might be time to consider TRT. but forget the androgel if you can, it's expensive and messy due to contact contamination. Bettter to get a weekly shot. Even better to do it yourself. Get another blood panel to conform low T, and then take the plunge.................

Welcome to the Forums Timo.

I hope you're able to successfully treat your depression. I experienced similar symptoms as you and after increasing my testosterone, i felt better almost instantly. TRT may very well be the ticket for you. Keep us posted.