Thread: Travelling abroad and taking your prescription medications with you

Travelling abroad and taking your prescription medications with you

I'm am going to Europe for an extended period (various countries). Anyone know where to find information on travelling with prescribed testosterone, or refilling prescriptions abroad?

Thanks,

HRT Specailist
    Not really sure about other countries, but TSA in the US is pretty clear...

Diabetes-related supplies, equipment, and medication, including liquids, are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been properly screened by X-ray or hand inspection. Passengers should declare these items and separate them from other belongings before screening begins.

Liquids, gels, and aerosols are screened by X-ray and medically necessary items in excess of 3.4 ounces will receive additional screening. A passenger could be asked to open the liquid or gel for additional screening. TSA will not touch the liquid or gel during this process.

If the passenger does not want a liquid, gel, or aerosol X-rayed or opened for additional screening, he or she should inform the officer before screening begins. Additional screening of the passenger and his or her property may be required, which may include a patdown.

Accessories required to keep medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols cool – such as freezer packs or frozen gel packs – are permitted through the screening checkpoint and may be subject to additional screening. These accessories are treated as liquids unless they are frozen solid at the checkpoint. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as other liquids and gels.

If a passenger uses an insulin pump, he or she can be screened without disconnecting from the pump. However, it is important for the passenger to inform the officer conducting the screening about the pump before the screening process begins.

Passengers who have insulin pumps can be screened using imaging technology, metal detector, or a thorough patdown. A passenger can request to be screened by patdown in lieu of imaging technology.

Regardless of whether the passenger is screened using imaging technology or metal detector, the passenger’s insulin pump is subject to additional screening. Under most circumstances, this will include the passenger conducting a self patdown of the insulin pump followed by an explosive trace detection sampling of the hands.
    [url]http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes[/url]

Although this refers to diabetics, I called them a while back as I was travelling locally, and they assured me the same rules apply for my Testosterone prescription. I declared and had no issues.

Thanks. I'm wondering if I may need to refill in advance.

HRT Specailist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixtycanine View Post
    Thanks. I'm wondering if I may need to refill in advance.
    Until someone with overseas travel experience replies, you might contact some pharmacies at your destination and find out what it takes to fill your prescription there. I would also contact your doctor and see if his/her office staff have suggestions. It's likely that they've been asked this before.

Sixtycanine, our network pharmacies will not ship medications overseas. However, we have many clients who travel overseas with the military or their job and they do not have any issues. What they do is have the medications shipped as normal and then it is up to them to have their family members or whoever else they know see that their package gets to them.