Thread: TRT and High Hematocrit

TRT and High Hematocrit

What is the lowest TRT dosage associated with elevating hematocrit to dangerous levels? Just wondering if many patients on a standard dose, say 100mg EW, have had problems with a rising hematocrit level.

HRT Specailist
    This really depends on individual response. It is however, common to donate blood regularly while on TRT. Once you begin treatment, you'll need to observe your levels periodically via a Complete Blood Count (CBC) panel. After a while you'll have a good idea of what degree you're affected and you'll be able to manage your counts better. Generally I let 1 pint of blood every couple of months and that keeps at or under 50% hCT.

It's also important to note that there are other factors that play a role in your hematocrit levels. Hydration level, smoking, location altitude and sleep apnea for example. Because there are too many factors, there will be no "rule of thumb" for a hematocrit-conscious dose.

Hope that helps.

So it would be safe to say that most TRT patients need to do routine blood lettings to maintain a low enough hematocrit level? The thought makes me quiver...

HRT Specailist
    Sure. It's really a good idea for everyone to donate once in awhile, TRT or otherwise. Who knows, you may not need to donate but once a year. Just be sure to monitor levels periodically because if it gets too high, you won't be able to donate. Most will reject you if your levels are above 55%. At that stage you'd have to ask your doctor for a therapeutic draw prescription.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, donations take about 10 minutes or less. In and out, real quick.

Can blood be drawn while I am passed out? Could be a deal breaker for me... How primitive.

HRT Specailist
    Quote Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
    Can blood be drawn while I am passed out? Could be a deal breaker for me... How primitive.
    You mean syncope (fainting) or general anesthesia? If you faint they'll likely abort the draw. No one will administer general anesthesia for a blood donation, that would require an intravenous injection anyway

Are you concerned with the sight of blood or the injection? You can always just look the other way. How did you plan on therapy? That generally requires injections.

I have no problems with self injecting or inserting large gauge needles deep into my muscles. I don't think I have a problem with the sight of blood either, never seemed to bother me. The last time I had blood drawn for testing I passed the *#%! out. Happened once before about 10 years ago as well and I wasn't looking either time. I watched a few videos of blood donations, 2 showing how easy it is, and 1 showing a guy pass out. I got light headed watching the guy pass out! Have had many opportunities to donate at hospitals and even at work but the thought for some reason just makes me weak in the knees. If they are going to abort the draw (is there a danger in continuing) then I would like to avoid the situation at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    You mean syncope (fainting) or general anesthesia? If you faint they'll likely abort the draw. No one will administer general anesthesia for a blood donation, that would require an intravenous injection anyway

Are you concerned with the sight of blood or the injection? You can always just look the other way. How did you plan on therapy? That generally requires injections.
    I have no problems with self injecting or inserting large gauge needles deep into my muscles. I don't think I have a problem with the sight of blood either. The last time I had blood drawn I passed out. Happened once before that maybe 10 years ago. I was not looking at the needle or the blood either time. I watched a few videos showing the ease of blood donating and one video where I guy passed out. The first videos were reassuring but I felt light headed when the guy passed out. If the draw will be aborted due to fainting then I would like to avoid the situation at all costs.

HRT Specailist
    Quote Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
    I have no problems with self injecting or inserting large gauge needles deep into my muscles. I don't think I have a problem with the sight of blood either. The last time I had blood drawn I passed out. Happened once before that maybe 10 years ago. I was not looking at the needle or the blood either time. I watched a few videos showing the ease of blood donating and one video where I guy passed out. The first videos were reassuring but I felt light headed when the guy passed out. If the draw will be aborted due to fainting then I would like to avoid the situation at all costs.
    Gotchya. Maybe a friend or family member can tag along and keep your mind occupied with some conversation. I hope you get it figured out because I'd hate to see you deterred from valuable treatment