Thread: Switched from Gel to Injections...feel like CRAP!

Switched from Gel to Injections...feel like CRAP!

I posted here a while back when I first started my HRT. After being on Androgel 1% for a few months I thought I was on the upswing…it took a while but all things T related where on the upswing ( no pun intended) Then…things kind of plateaued. Weren’t getting any better. Then they slipped a little, then a little more. I kind of leveled out to a place better than I was pre-HRT, but not the best I had experienced on HRT. Then I had blood work done again. Total T was 176!!! Down from 540. No wonder. Urologist figures for whatever reason I was no longer absorbing the Androgel so he prescribed cypionate, which I was already considering for other reasons. Got the first 200mg injection last Friday with a plan to get another 200 14 days later. Saturday night I kind of crashed and I’ve felt like total crap ever since. I honestly didn’t expect this, with still having a bit of Androgel in my system. Some quick internet research says the first injection should peak in a couple days…it’s now been 4 days and I’m thinking about calling in sick to work, I feel that bad. Is this normal when switching from gel to injection? A guy from another site indicated when he switched after almost a year of Androgel he was pretty out of sorts for an entire month. Now he feels like a new man, but does it really take cyp a month to stabilize in your system. I don’t think I have enough sick days saved up. Appreciate any insight.

STRAT

Bi-weekly injections are not the best way to go. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors don't realize this. For example, when you inject Testosterone Cypionate, your levels will peak in approximately 48-72hrs after the injection. By the time a week has passed, your levels will have dropped quite a bit and then you're waiting another week to inject making it even worse.

Splitting the dose into 2 even weekly injections is the most efficient. However, for many one injection per week is fine. If you're using HCG with your testosterone, you can easily get by with one injection of testosterone per week.

Overall benefits, it can take every bit of 4 to even 8wks to really see the benefits of TRT and it only last if you continue your TRT. It's not an overnight fix.

Thanks Justin. Understand about the bi-weekly injections. When I go back for my second injection they are supposed to train me to do my own injections and then I will do the 100mg once a week. HCG has not been discussed up to now...should we? I'm 52 years old and not concerned about having any more kids. Am I missing something in regards to HCG?

I realize it can take while for the HRT to initially take effect, but I was already using Androgel for several months when I made the switch to cypionate. I did not expect to crash the way I did. I feel terrible. Is it advisable to continue using the Androgel while the cypionate builds up in my system? I'm kind of thinking that's a bad idea, but I really don't know why. My performance at work is suffering and I need to do something and I'm back to avoiding my wife again...not good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strat1900 View Post
    Thanks Justin. Understand about the bi-weekly injections. When I go back for my second injection they are supposed to train me to do my own injections and then I will do the 100mg once a week. HCG has not been discussed up to now...should we? I'm 52 years old and not concerned about having any more kids. Am I missing something in regards to HCG?

I realize it can take while for the HRT to initially take effect, but I was already using Androgel for several months when I made the switch to cypionate. I did not expect to crash the way I did. I feel terrible. Is it advisable to continue using the Androgel while the cypionate builds up in my system? I'm kind of thinking that's a bad idea, but I really don't know why. My performance at work is suffering and I need to do something and I'm back to avoiding my wife again...not good!!
    HCG can also help you maintain stable levels throughout the week doing away with the common up and down roller coater affect many feel in-between injections. Many also like the HCG because it helps prevent testicular atrophy. The atrophy that's experienced due to testosterone use isn't something that specifically causes any damage, but many simply don't like the idea of their testicles losing some of their fullness. Keeping the testicles full, this is accomplished by the fact that HCG stimulates natural testosterone production, you're both producing your own natural testosterone as well as gaining the testosterone you're taking exogenously. The addition of HCG will often give the individual about a 20-25% bump in total testosterone.

All of that said, HCG does not work for all men; it works for the majority but not all. In simple terms, HCG is synthetic LH; it makes the body think it's producing more LH, which is one of the primary hormone released by the pituitary that tell the testicles to produce testosterone. If you suffer from primary hypogonadism, you're already producing a strong signal but the testicles aren't accepting it. Adding more of a signal won't change this. Many men over the age of 50 are primary, not all but many. Blood work can easily determine where you fall and determine if HCG could benefit you.