Thread: 6 weeks in on HRT

6 weeks in on HRT

I'm now onto my section tube of Androgel 1.62%, 2 pumps a day, one on each arm. Pretty quickly I noticed waking up during the night with erections which has continued - and at 51 hasn't been the case for quite some time. I can't say I'm more interested in sex though - if anything - maybe less. I'm very active doing the gym 5 days a week - but now - I''ve noticed increased fat and my diet or activity level has not changed. I don't see an increase in strength or aggressiveness as some do , and more overall interest and happiness about life is still pretty much nonexistent.

I was diagnosed with primary hypogonadism with my T just barely low but my FSH and LH extremely high - over double of the high point cut off for normal.

Now the doc had given me the choice of the gel, the patch, or the injections. I've read how androgel doesnt' work for everybody and how after a bit less and less will be absorbed. What I'm really bugged about is the increase in fat. I work hard to maintain a level of fitness that most my age dont' have - but in my line of work - it's necessary.

Should I just stop the Androgel for a bit to see what happens? Now after 6 weeks or so I'm worried about "crashing" and the fact that I've probably shut my own production completely down - but maybe that doesn't matter because the doc said especially with my hormone profile I had either stopped completely already or was very close to no production.

HRT Specailist
    Solidaj,

I'm sorry to hear that quality of life has not yet improved for you. Have you tested your levels to see how well the gel is working for you? When presented with the options above, injections would most certainly be my choice, as it's the most effective. I would continue using your gel so that you have a 'smoother' transition to injections, should you choose that route. Either way, it's important to have your lab work done.

Best of luck to you and please, keep us posted.

You're welcome to call the office anytime to discuss options:

It could be a simple case of estradiol increasing. I have seen men on creams/gels who get very little if any increase in testosterone yet their estradiol goes up. If this is the case and nothing in your diet or exercise habits have changed, the increase in estrogen could easily make you gain some body fat.

Solution - get blood work done and see where your estradiol levels are. If high, it may be that you're converting most of the testosterone to estrogen. You could try adding some anastrozle to your program. Talk to your doctor about that. However, you may be better served switching to injectable testosterone, but you'll still probably need an anti-estrogen from the sound of it.

I'm not saying this is what's going on but it is a good possibility. You won't know for sure until you have things looked at. But if this is the case, it's a very easy fix.