Thread: Several questions

Several questions

I was put on several antidepressants in my late teens because I wasn't doing well in school. I was against it but I was basically forced to by my parents. After about a year or two I discontinued their use permanently because I told the doc they weren't doing anything for me other than killing my libido and making me feel like a zombie. I haven't felt quite like the same person since being put on them. The reason I even mention this is because I've felt great before starting the antidepressants. I remember being full of energy. I was always outside doing active stuff.

I am now 27 years old and I've been struggling since I was about 19-20 years old. I have no energy whether I sleep 5 hours per night or 12. Wake up feeling as tired as I went to sleep the night before. Feel like a zombie. Sex about once a week. Didn't do anything about this because I thought I could wait it out. Felt like I'll start to feel better any day now. I'm still waiting it out. Got my testosterone level checked last month. Total test came out to 490 ng/dL. Not the lowest test level, but still on the low end for my age. Looking around I've discovered that the median test levels for my age are in the upper 600's. Any way for a doctor to attempt to raise the level to the low 700's see if my symptoms improve or disappear? I'm kind of tired (no pun intended) of saying "no" when asked to do something that actually requires moving around.

You may have a hard time finding a doctor that treats you based on your total testosterone reading alone. However, you need to find out what your free testosterone level is. Free testosterone is the most important number as it represents the testosterone your body has access to. If your free testosterone levels are low, it does not matter how high your total testosterone is, you will have low level symptoms. If that happens to be the case, you're going to need to find a doctor that understands the difference between free and total testosterone and most do not.