Thread: Help with Androgel 1%

Help with Androgel 1%

Hey everyone.....

I am looking to have a few questions about using Androgel 1% for my newly diagnosed low T. Specifically, I have been told by some people that it can only go on the shoulders and to alternate sites but my physician told me that I could apply it on my stomach as well....which one is correct.

Also, some people said that it has to be applied at the same time every morning! With my job, this is virtually impossible as I work random shift work, and have no idea where I will be from one minute to the next. I would be realistic for me to be able to take it within about a 4 hour window everyday but not at the same time....is this OK?

For the reasons stated above, I will also not be able to apply it after a shower all the time. Does anyone see an issue with this as well?

Any negative or positive side effects I may experience? My physician just said I will likely not even notice a difference but wanted to try it for three months then re-test my levels.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Cheers

Androgel or any topical transdermal testosterone or cream can be applied to the shoulders, abdomen or inner-thighs. These are the most common areas of application.

Applying within that 4hr window should be fine. It is ideal to do it first thing in the morning at the same time every day, but you have to work with what you have.

I'm not sure if no shower prior to application will have a strong effect - I would be surprised if it caused some type of negative effect though.

With any form of testosterone, possible side effects include the following and can be combated by the following:

1. Increased estrogen levels - testosterone converts to estrogen via the aromatase enzyme. As men, we do need estrogen, just not as much as women and the conversion process is how we produce what we need. Too much conversion, causing levels to increase can cause water retention, bloating, erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, lack of energy. This can be combated with an anti-estrogen, specifically an aromatase inhibitor (AI) such as anastrozole. Not all men need an AI but some do. Followup blood work will determine if and how much is needed. Specifically, you'd want an Estradiol Sensitive test performed. If an AI is needed, you want to be careful as they are very powerful. Lowering estrogen too much can cause many of the same symptoms as low testosterone as well as weaken the bones and other health issues.

2. Thickening of the blood. Increased levels of testosterone can increase red blood cell count, hematocrit and hemoglobin. This can first drain energy levels but is also a risk factor for heart attack and stroke. Some men have to perform a therapeutic phlebotomy a few times per year, simply meaning to donate a pint of blood in order to thin out the blood. Most men do not need this but some do.

3. Acne is possible, but generally only in those who are sensitive to acne to begin with. In most case, it will subside as the body becomes accustomed to testosterone.

4. Hair loss - testosterone can cause hair loss in men who are predisposed to male pattern baldness but it cannot cause hair loss in those not genetically predisposed. Predisposed means you were going to lose your hair anyway, but the use of testosterone may speed it up. However, low testosterone can also cause hair loss in men genetically predisposed.

5. Testicular atrophy, this side effect is guaranteed but it doesn't cause any physical harm. The use of testosterone will cause the testicles to lose some of their fullness. Testosterone use tells the body to stop making its own testosterone, it's not needed. If you have low testosterone levels, this is inconsequential since you weren't making enough anyway. That said, the use of HCG with testosterone will keep what natural testosterone production you have going, which will prevent testicular atrophy. But there are other benefits to HCG that are actually physical benefits.

Transdermal testosterones have a 20% fail rate, meaning in 20% of men the creams/gels won't absorb. In the other 80% they will work. However, some men will experience transdermal fatigue. This means in time the creams/gels won't absorb as well and more and more is needed in order to keep levels elevated and stable. How many men this applies to is hard to say. However, none of these issues exist with injectable testosterone.

I hope this info has been helpful.

Thanks Justin...that does help!! I just put my first application on and quickly realized that, while I am going to use the entire packet, I should split it up and only use 1/2 first then the other half as it quickly ran down the inside of my arm, into my armpit and onto my chest!!! I got 98% of it where I wanted (shoulder and upper arm) but lost several small "drips" in the process....just thought I'd add that in case someone is in my position and reading this in the future.

With reference to the side effects, are the ones you listed common or "could/rarely" happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Thanks Justin...that does help!! I just put my first application on and quickly realized that, while I am going to use the entire packet, I should split it up and only use 1/2 first then the other half as it quickly ran down the inside of my arm, into my armpit and onto my chest!!! I got 98% of it where I wanted (shoulder and upper arm) but lost several small "drips" in the process....just thought I'd add that in case someone is in my position and reading this in the future.

With reference to the side effects, are the ones you listed common or "could/rarely" happen?
    Acne and hair loss, as mentioned those are genetically dependent, so how common they are depends on genetics. However, acne (severe) is somewhat rare unless you are very sensitive.

Estrogen related, Approximately 50-60% of men end up needing an anti-estrogen medication, I'd say that's a good estimate. However, they may not need it or as much as they did in the early stages of their TRT. Many men tend to need less as time goes on, not all but it does seem to often be the case.

Thickening of the blood, hard to say, but less have this issue than do have it.

Testicular atrophy, this is guaranteed in all men who use testosterone.