Thread: New Guy: Low T, Low Vit D and Dizziness

New Guy: Low T, Low Vit D and Dizziness

Hi everyone!

I'm a new guys here and decided after reading for a while that I'd sign up. I'm a 42 yr old male, good health (still running 9 min/mile or power walk 2-3 times/week) eat very healthy, no fast foods, seldom red meat, and no sweet sugars, medium/low carb diet and occasional alcohol.

In short, I have been dealing with some mild dizziness/lightheadedness and frequent mild headaches for about 8 weeks. I thought it was the Nexium I've been taking for about a year for GERD and acid reflux so I stopped taking the Nexium for 5 weeks and the dizziness didn't subside. In that time I saw my Doc and received the results of a battery of blood tests. Sure enough...Low T (276) and low Vitamin D! I seem to wake up feeling pretty good (tired sometimes) but get the dizziness mid-morning (0900-1030) almost every day. It subsides after or near lunch and then seems to be mild to low through the rest of the day.

I was tested for Vertigo and don't have that. Thyroids, lipids and cholesterols were all a-okay.

I immediately started taking a Vit D supplement from the Doc (1000iu) and saw some improvements...but not entirely.

I am now waiting for the results of a second screening of blood work focusing on Testosterone, and some other male hormones (something starting with a P, and FSH?). I am hoping that if the results are similar that I can start some kind of TRT and start feeling better.

Wondering if anyone else has had these kinds of sx? I have been reading a lot lately about Low T and I am sure showing some of the signs. Heightened Glucose, slightly elevated BP, recent weight gain in the belly (over the past year), afternoon exhaustion, sleep trouble, irritability, some headaches and of course the light dizziness around the same time every day. I recently retired from active duty in the military and was subject to annual and thorough physicals for 20 years. All my numbers have always been great, until this past screening of blood work and this past year noticing all these sx.

Thank you and I am open to your suggestions.

Buster

P may be for prolactin. FSH is Follicle Stimulating Hormone. This should also be done with LH, Luteinizing Hormone. LH and FSH are the two gonadotropins released by the pituitary that tell the testicles to make testosterone. Without adequate LH and FSH there is no testosterone production. If LH/FSH are low, this means there's a secondary low t issue at hand. If they are normal or high yet testosterone levels are low, this means there's an issue at the production site, testicles, and it's a primary low t issue.

Your dizziness and headache sound like low blood sugar more than they do testosterone related. Make sure you're not having big gaps between your meals. That isn't to say you don't have a testosterone issue as well as it does sound like you have some of the symptoms and 276 is a low reading.

Thanks Justin, I think you are correct on the other hormones the doc is checking on. I am anxious to hear what this second battery of tests reveals.

We thought it was blood sugars too, but they are quite normal, at least during the one test we did after fasting. Maybe slightly high, but the doc said all my glucose and all were fine. I guess we'll watch it too and I'm also wondering if maybe my glucose levels are swinging high to low or something.

Thanks Justin. We did a bunch of glucose and sugar tests and all those seemed normal, although I'm with you and not ready to rule it out. A few websites on low T say that dizziness and headaches are a symptom. I've also read about some links with Vit D deficiency and that seems to be an interesting topic. A few good studies out there including one where 'most' men with low D also had Low T and replacing the Vit D increased Free T by 20% alone over the placebo.

I'll post my new results when they come in.

2nd results came in. 233 on the T. FSH/LH and the Prolactin was all normal! I have a meet with the doc next Wed, and sounds like they want to start me on a daily gel.

Thanks!

Good deal Buster. Make sure you do followup blood work 6-8wks after starting treatment. You'll want to gauge things to see how you're responding in order to know if the dose needs to be adjusted, to help determine if an AI is needed, and you'll always want to keep an eye on the thickness of your blood.

Okay. Thank you. I don't have the actual numbers on my LH and FSH, but I think I had it wrong. I was told they were normal and from what I'm reading that means secondary hypogonadism. And that brings a whole host of odd causal factors.

Do I need to worry? I am wondering what the underlying reason is for those to be low, however I read that low Vit D can be a cause.

I can't wait to speak to my doc on Wednesday.