Thread: Free Test lvl question.

Free Test lvl question.

Hey guys been looking into my testosterone lvls lately. I'm 37 just don't have the drive for much of anything and when I do I pay for it on the back side. Anyway went to Dr the other day asked for them to test me. They only tested Free direct but these are the numbers. They did a free test lvl and it was 11.3 with a range of 8.7-25.1. With that I'm normal based on their info but my question is what does that number put me at in comparison to age. Don't think I'm at the bottom of this yet. Any insight would be useful.

HRT Specailist
    Well it's on the lower end but that doesn't mean much without more labs. I'm surprised they didn't pull more panels. Here is a list of panels I would consider asking for that might shed some light on the root of any issues...

• Total Testosterone
    • Bioavailable Testosterone
    • Free Testosterone (if Bioavailable T is unavailable)
    • Estradiol (specify “sensitive” assay for males)
    • LH
    • FSH
    • CBC
    • Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
    • Lipid Profile
    • PSA
    • IGF-1

It's important to remember that even if your levels (whatever they may be) are considered to be in the "Normal Range" this does not mean you're in the Optimal Range. Let's consider Total Testosterone simply for the sake of argument. The Normal Range is 350-1100ng/dl and that's obviously a very wide gap. If you're well below 350 many physicians will prescribe treatment, although it may not be the best treatment. If you're only a little below 350 many won't prescribe treatment. Now, still considering Total Testosterone, let's say your levels are 400-500, many general practitioners will not treat you based on the common "Normal Range" and the same can be said of many endocrinologist. But here's the question, what if you're in the normal range but you're still displaying symptoms? What good are your 400-500 levels if you're still suffering from low testosterone symptoms? Refusing treatment in such cases or not even considering it and weighing the options is similar to giving a starving man one bite of food and then telling him he shouldn't be hungry because he's already eaten.

Then there's the Optimal Range, which is normally 700-1100ng/dl. Some men may find their Optimal level to be a little below this, everyone's different but the 800 range seems to be the sweet spot for most men.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It's important to remember that even if your levels (whatever they may be) are considered to be in the "Normal Range" this does not mean you're in the Optimal Range. Let's consider Total Testosterone simply for the sake of argument. The Normal Range is 350-1100ng/dl and that's obviously a very wide gap. If you're well below 350 many physicians will prescribe treatment, although it may not be the best treatment. If you're only a little below 350 many won't prescribe treatment. Now, still considering Total Testosterone, let's say your levels are 400-500, many general practitioners will not treat you based on the common "Normal Range" and the same can be said of many endocrinologist. But here's the question, what if you're in the normal range but you're still displaying symptoms? What good are your 400-500 levels if you're still suffering from low testosterone symptoms? Refusing treatment in such cases or not even considering it and weighing the options is similar to giving a starving man one bite of food and then telling him he shouldn't be hungry because he's already eaten.

Then there's the Optimal Range, which is normally 700-1100ng/dl. Some men may find their Optimal level to be a little below this, everyone's different but the 800 range seems to be the sweet spot for most men.
    IMHO, thats the most important key, and sadly the most often overlooked when typical family GP's are determining TRT treatment - especially if you present "normal" T values.

First off, never let a doctor treat you like a number. You're to be treated by how you feel. T levels based on societal norms are just a guide at best. You need more complete bloodwork as stated above to include a full thyroid panel and I'd consider an iron panel as well.

Consider that Hypothyroid can/will cause hypogonadism. Also know that low iron will raise TSH levels and vice versa. It's really a catch-22. Low iron will cause fatigue and lethargy as easily as low T can.

^^^^^^^^ = exactly

My God. If we could all have our primary care physicians taking this same attitude/approach we would all be so much better off.