Thread: in need of help

in need of help

I could really use some help. I was what many would call tall and skinny and a 150 pound weakling the first 20 or so years of my life - a scared scrawny kid with glasses. Then for almost 30 years I got fat and lazy behind a desk. Five or so years ago I made some changes and today at 51, and 6'2", I weigh 190 pounds with 10-12 BF - not too bad I guess for middle age in this age of obesity.

I've noticed over the past year or so my interest in life and the pursuit of happiness, and my energy levels and stamina dropping significantly. No real ED issues - of course not as responsive as when I was a teenager - but the equipment still works. My biggest complaint is more psychological.

So, some friends who work at a health food store suggested a male hormone panel (saliva test) - I had my doubts - but did the test and the results came back as follows:

DHEA/S - 1ng/ml - low
    Androstenedione - 68pg/ml - low
    Testosterone - 27pg/ml - low
    DHT - 31pg/ml - low
    Progesterone normal
    Estrone - 9pg/ml low
    Estradiol - normal
    FSH normal
    LH normal

After getting these results - it was highly suggested that I consult a doc - which I did - and he ordered total and free testosterone blood tests. Just got the results:

Total Testosterone - 494ng/dL ref range 250-1100
    Free Testosterone - 71.6 pg/mL ref range 35-155

The doc has told me that I'm fine - to remember that I'm not 25 anymore - and that the saliva tests are bogus. I've done some research and have come across a number of folks referencing age specific testosterone levels - and when I look at these levels - I am a bit low.

So, what do I do? Suck it up - give up - and start hanging out again in my recliner? Or - do I find myself some HRT?

any advice?

I don't care for the age reference charts. Most of those were developed by insurance companies. What's important is optimal testosterone levels and for most all men the optimal range is Total 700-1100ng/dl and Free 20-30ng/dl...age does not change this.

Are you sure your Free numbers are written out correctly? Your total is below optimal but based on that Free number you listed no doctor would treat you. If your free is below 15 it doesn't really matter what your total is...your total could be 1500 but if your free is low you have low testosterone.

I recommend you give us a call and talk to someone about your results. They don't look quite right at first glance. Give us a call and ask for Mike. He'll be able to go over all this with you thoroughly and help you determine if TRT might be right for you. This is a free service, there's no charge or pressure at all.

wow...hmmm...did some research and noticed that usually free T is reported in nano and not picograms - thus my 71.9 picograms would result in a value of .0719 nano grams which is not good I don't think