Thread: HRT not working

HRT not working

Hi, I am a new member. I have been on HRT for one month and my testosterone was 372 at start and now it is 224. What is wrong?

HRT Specailist
    Welcome,

What is your protocol and most importantly, what does your doctor say?

I am on Androgel. I was on it for one month putting one pump on each arm then tested 224 then my doctor said to use three pumps. Ten days later I tested 207. It seems the more I use the more it goes down. I called Androgel and they don't know what's wrong and my doctor doesn't know. Help

HRT Specailist
    Interesting. Sounds like you're having absorption issues. Where are you applying? You want to avoid any hairy areas. I don't know if this would be effective but you could try applying a moisturizer 30 to 45 minutes after you apply androgel. This is presumed to increase absorption considerably. But your numbers don't really add up. Have you discussed injections with your doctor? If so, what did he say?

I'd really like to know what your doctor said exactly. I don't see him saying 'i don't know' and sending you on your way. Did he have any suggestions whatsoever? Did he want you to continue androgel even after that last test? Seems like 10 days is such a short span for another test.

I am applying to the upper arm and shoulder area like the directions say. I am not a hairy person. I know ten days is a short amount of time but I just wanted to get an idea if it was changing my numbers after I started using three pumps. The only time I actually talked to my doctor was when I first went in to get a prescription for the testosterone and let him take the lead because I know nothing about it and he prescribed the Androgel. Since then I have just been talking thru his office personnel and they said he said to go to four pumps a day and I said it just isn't working so now he has prescribed Fortesta 10mg. Is this a good product?

HRT Specailist
    Yes, it's a good product and concentrated. You won't have to apply as much you did with androgel. Keep us posted and give it at least 4 to 6 weeks before you check your levels again.

There's one important thing to keep in mind, testosterone gels and creams including AndroGel will not work at all for approximately 20% of all men. Even AndroGel admits this in their package insert and even in their commercial on TV. For other many other men, transdermal testosterones will work well for awhile but as time goes by the begin to absorb less and less. In many cases they end up not working at all. We see a lot of people every day who've been on AndroGel or related products and who call us and tell us their levels haven't improved or that it worked great for a few months and now their levels are dropping. It's all very common.

Creams and gels work well in some cases, but injectable testosterone works perfectly for every man each and every time.