Thread: Don't know what to believe

Don't know what to believe

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some advice. I am 41 years old. The last two years of my life have been incredibly stressful because of my marriage. I will not get into the details here but the stress I know can be a contributing factor to low T. About 9 months ago I felt I should get checked for low T even though I was not have erectile dysfunction. My T levels were around 200. My endo put me on Cabergoline to reduce my prolactin levels which would then enable my T levels to increase. My T levels increase to 340 in May. I continued on this treatment and increased my amount of cabergoline only to find my T levels are now at 324. I am very concerned as I do not feel ay different than when my T levels were in the 200 range. My doctor keeps telling me that I should not be concerned with the actual number and it is all about how I feel. I can get erections. I have desire. however, I am not sure how else I am supposed to feel. I am not sure if there is something I should be feeling otherwise. From what I have found, Avg T level for a 41 year old man should be at least 500.

I am concerned that I don't know what I don't know. Meaning, would I feel different at 500 level or above and I am concerned about the lower number form my results of last week.

I appreciate any guidance from the forum. This is very troubling to me and I am not sure how to proceed to increase my levels naturally or medically.

thx all.

Quote Originally Posted by fish3474 View Post
    Hi all,

Hoping I can get some advice. I am 41 years old. The last two years of my life have been incredibly stressful because of my marriage. I will not get into the details here but the stress I know can be a contributing factor to low T. About 9 months ago I felt I should get checked for low T even though I was not have erectile dysfunction. My T levels were around 200. My endo put me on Cabergoline to reduce my prolactin levels which would then enable my T levels to increase. My T levels increase to 340 in May. I continued on this treatment and increased my amount of cabergoline only to find my T levels are now at 324. I am very concerned as I do not feel ay different than when my T levels were in the 200 range. My doctor keeps telling me that I should not be concerned with the actual number and it is all about how I feel. I can get erections. I have desire. however, I am not sure how else I am supposed to feel. I am not sure if there is something I should be feeling otherwise. From what I have found, Avg T level for a 41 year old man should be at least 500.

I am concerned that I don't know what I don't know. Meaning, would I feel different at 500 level or above and I am concerned about the lower number form my results of last week.

I appreciate any guidance from the forum. This is very troubling to me and I am not sure how to proceed to increase my levels naturally or medically.

thx all.
    The optimal testosterone range for an adult male is 700-1100 ng/dl regardless of age. Age should does not play a role. Saying older men should have lower testosterone levels than younger men is like saying they should have less oxygen. The 700-1100 range is what's considered optimal by nearly every testosterone treatment body and organization in the U.S. and in most of the world, outside of endocrinologist circles. Most endos still treat and view testosterone as we did in the 1980's. It's a very strange phenomena. They're hormone doctors and often great ones, but they have refused to advance in this field of hormones. Sure, there are exceptions, there are endos that get it but they are few and far between.

As far as what you should be feeling, there's not a feeling like a high or anything like that. Further, erectile dysfunction is only one of numerous possible symptoms, you do not have to have ED or libido issues to have low t. Yes, those are two of the more common symptoms but they're not the end all be all. And yes, by your numbers you have low testosterone.

Here are some good questions to ask yourself:

1. Do you feel more fatigued and/or tired than usual?
    2. Have you noticed a decrease in your muscle mass?
    3. Have you experienced a loss in muscle strength?
    4. Have you experienced an increase in joint and/or muscle pains?
    5. Have you noticed an increase in your waist size?
    6. Do you have trouble losing weight?
    7. Have you experienced a loss in height?
    8. Do you have a decrease in your sex drive?
    9. Have you experienced difficulty in establishing and/or maintaining erections?
    10. Do you have a decrease in spontaneous early morning erections?
    11. Have you experienced changes in your usual sleep pattern?
    12. Do you feel a decrease in your mental sharpness?
    13. Have you had trouble concentrating?
    14. Do you experience less enjoyment in personal interests and hobbies?

These are all good questions to ask yourself and if any of them apply to you, you may want to consider finding a physician that understands testosterone therapy and seek out a plan that's right for you.

Thx for the info. A few questions and comments...

"The 700-1100 range is what's considered optimal by nearly every testosterone treatment body and organization in the U.S. and in most of the world, outside of endocrinologist circles. "

Can you share some sources? I have been to two Endocrinologists. My primary and a second opinion. The second opinion reviewed my treatment protocol and agreed with the current treatment.

Answers to questions below...

1. Do you feel more fatigued and/or tired than usual?
    NO. I RUN 6 MILES 3X A WEEK. JUST RAN A 1/2 MARATHON LAST WEEK. I ALSO LIFT WEIGHTS 2 TO 3X PER WEEK
    2. Have you noticed a decrease in your muscle mass?
    NO. I HAVE MAINTAINED AND STRENGTHENED
    3. Have you experienced a loss in muscle strength?
    NO. I HAVE INCREASED MUSCLE STRENGTH IN CHEST, SHOULDERS AND ARMS SPECIFICALLY
    4. Have you experienced an increase in joint and/or muscle pains?
    NO
    5. Have you noticed an increase in your waist size?
    NO. GONE FROM 34 TO 32 INCH WAIST OVER THE LAST YEAR
    6. Do you have trouble losing weight?
    NO REALLY. I HAVE VERY LITTLE TO LOSE. I AM IN EXCELLENT PHYSICAL SHAPE.
    7. Have you experienced a loss in height?
    NO
    8. Do you have a decrease in your sex drive?
    NO
    9. Have you experienced difficulty in establishing and/or maintaining erections?
    AT TIMES.
    10. Do you have a decrease in spontaneous early morning erections?
    I DON'T THINK SO BUT GOING TO BETER MONITOR
    11. Have you experienced changes in your usual sleep pattern?
    NO
    12. Do you feel a decrease in your mental sharpness?
    NOT REALLY
    13. Have you had trouble concentrating?
    YES
    14. Do you experience less enjoyment in personal interests and hobbies?
    AT TIMES, YES

Look into A4M, NEJM and Dr. Abraham Morgentaler.

As for your Q&A, you don't appear to be displaying symptoms based on on your answers that would typically be associated with where your levels are. But, you're definitely displaying symptoms. My advice is to always find a doctor that understands modern TRT and go from there. If you don't need treatment then you simply don't need it but if your life can be improved in a meaningful and beneficial way, it doesn't make a lot of sense to forgo it.

For the most part, people have covered what to look for in terms of what you should feel. In the end, it doesn't matter what the doctor says. They are typically smart people, and I would never want to rob them of the time, energy, and commitment they have made to their profession and becoming a doctor. The reality, however, is that doctors are humans also and as much their opinion goes into curing someone as actual science and medicine does. Follow how you feel instead of what the doctor tells you. Of course, you should listen to your doctor, but ultimately you are looking to improve the quality of your life. If your levels are rising and you still aren't noticing a difference in terms of your emotions, energy level, and other areas of your life then I would recommend you start searching for other solutions.