Thread: Hello Hello!

Hello Hello!

Hi I'm 21 years old and I've been noticing for a while that I've been extremely fatigued. It doesn't matter how much hours of sleep I get I'm still tired. So I did some research on low testosterone and the symptoms they listed is what I'm currently experiencing the low energy, constant fatigue, lack of facial hair, mood changes. I visited my doctors and he gave me some general lab orders, the results came back fine then I asked him for a testosterone test. The staff at my doctors office called me a few days later and said I'm in the normal limit for testosterone, so I requested a copy of the report. My results were 481 ng/dL and the limit is between 348-1197 ng/DL. My question is should I push for treatment because I'm towards the lower end of the margin and it could decrease as I grow older or should I leave it alone?

Welcome to the board delan.

At 21 it can be very difficult to receive testosterone treatment. This is largely due to the hormone being abused by many in their 20's. I'm not saying that's fair, but it is the reality.

Your testosterone levels are not optimal, not for your age or any age. The range you spoke of, 348-1197, these are averages of all men. They do not take into account much of anything. They simply have taken a large group of men, measured their testosterone levels and said this is the normal range for most men. That doesn't mean those are proper levels. There's a big different in normal ranges and optimal ranges.

If you think testosterone treatment is something you may need to seek out, at 21 you're probably going to need an MRI on your pituitary for any physician to go further. Now that may change based on how you answer these questions below:

1. Have you ever used anabolic steroids?
    2. Have you ever used opiates (prescription painkillers)?
    3. Have you ever been prescribed statins (cholesterol meds)? Unlikely at your age but possible.
    4. Have you ever used antidepressants?
    5. Have you regularly consumed large amounts of alcohol?
    6. Have you used recreational drugs?
    7. Have you ever experienced head trauma?
    8. Have you ever experienced testicular damage?
    9. Have you ever had any type of cancer treatment?
    10. Have you been prescribed large amounts of corticoids such as cortisol?

If you can answer these questions that's a start. Also, at your age, you may be able to improve your levels by changing your diet and lifestyle habits. Some tips:

1. Limit alcohol, do not binge drink.
    2. Follow a moderate fat, low carbohydrate diet. When you eat carb sources, limit them to things like potatoes and oats but stay away from breads and simple sugars. Consume plenty of omega fatty acids, eat nuts, whole eggs, natural peanut butter and lean cuts of meat. Stay away from processed foods.
    3. Exercise regularly, resistance training at least a few days a week and some type of cardiovascular activity most days.
    4. Supplement with Vitamin D, Omega Fish Oils and Zinc.

You may be able to improve your life by doing these things if you continue to get adequate rest.