Thread: Low testosterone diagnosis

Low testosterone diagnosis

Hello,

I am new here. I am a fairly healthy 61 year old who was diagnosed with low testosterone around a year ago. I have been prescribed Androderm, Axiron, and injections but none have seemed to raise my level. On recent labs my level was 134. My doctor now is trying something new and is suggesting I try injecting subq as he has had some success with patients using this method. My problem is that I went to a couple of different pharmacies and they told me that oil based testosterone is too thick for insulin syringes besides the cost is $20 a shot for weekly shots.

Are there any supplements or anything else that anyone has heard of that can raise testosterone levels? My doctor seems to feel that if he can get my testosterone level up that will increase my energy level, stop my fatigue, mood swings and increase my sex level and get me out of this brain fog I have at the moment.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Glad to have you on the forum.

The pharmacy is incorrect, testosterone can be injected SubQ. I've done it many times with an insulin syringe and so do many of our clients.
    Regarding the cost of going in for an injection, you might talk to your doctor about allowing you to do the injection yourself in order to avoid the office visit. This is what all of our clients do and I have been doing the same for over 5 years. It's not difficult. It can seem strange the first time or two, but most find it's pretty simple once they've done it a couple of times.

Regarding your primary issue - I'm curious to know what your protocol has been. How often has testosterone been injected? For injectable testosterone to work, for levels to increase and be maintained without falling below sub-optimal levels before your net injection, injections need to be administered at least once per week. Some men find two smaller injections work best, but once per week is fairly common.
    As for Androderm and Axiron failing to work, I'm not surprised. Transdermal testosterones have a 20% fail rate, meaning in about 20% of men they will not work. In those that they do work, it's not uncommon for them to stop working in time. This is not possible with injectable testosterone; however, you still have to find the right protocol for it to work.