Thread: 5 week Clomid Results with Initial Primary Hypogonadism Diagnosis

Hybrid View

Exclamation 5 week Clomid Results with Initial Primary Hypogonadism Diagnosis

5 week Clomid Results with Initial Primary Hypogonadism Diagnosis

Hello Forum! I have been perusing for the last few weeks.

I hope some of you may be able to help me with my situation.

I am in my early 30s - pretty healthy (slightly overweight) - 6'1" 220 pounds. (20-25 pounds overweight)

In Feb 2015 - I went to the urologist to get my ED situation checked. He checked my testosterone levels - and I had results of 224ng/dL (range 348-1197) [LOW]

I went back a week later to have them rechecked - tests were
    Total T = 164ng/dL;
    FSH = 19.2 (HIGH);
    LH - 6.0 (Higher end)
    Prolactin = 13.2 (Higher End)

He said I likely have Primary Hypogonadism and before putting me on testosterone replacement, we can check if Clomid works... chances are it will not. Lets.

5 weeks later at 25mg ED Clomid

Testosterone = 466 ng/dL (Range 348-1197)
    Free Testosterone = 12.9 (Range 8.7-25.1)
    SHBG = 21.8nmol (Range 16.5-55.9)
    Prolactin = 6.7 (Range 4.0 - 15.2)
    LH = 13.4 [HIGH] (Range 1.7 - 8.6)
    FSH = 31.0 [HIGH] (Range 1.5 - 12.4)
    Cortisol = 29.6 (HIGH) (Range 2.3 - 19.4)
    ACTH, Plasma = 22.6pg/mL (Range 7.2 - 63.3)
    TSH = 2.56 (0.45 - 4.5)

So my testosterone is up by almost 300 points.. but so is my FSH and LH. If I had primary hypogonadism - then Clomid should not work... however, it seems to be working, albeit not as effectively as others (as I have on the forum).

Most of the people seem to have Low LH and Low FSH - secondary...

Any theories as to what is going on?

Any help?

Your numbers would indicate primary. Primary does mean the signal from the pituitary, specifically the production of gonadotropins is good/strong, yet the testicles no longer have the ability to produce enough testosterone. It doesn't mean the testicles cannot produce any testosterone, but simply not enough.

Despite an increase in total testosterone, based on your free testosterone reading I would imagine you still have low level symptoms. Most men will still have low testosterone symptoms with a free testosterone reading of less than 15 pg/ml on the LabCorp scale, less than 150 pg/ml on the Quest scale.

Clomid, will your levels continue to go up on Clomid only? It's hard to say, but Clomid is generally not something that's meant to be used indefinitely. Will your levels hold or drop back to a lower state once it's discontinued? I would lean towards yes they'll drop. The idea behind Clomid use is normally to stimulate the production of gonadatropins, and hopefully with any luck have the production hold once discontinued. However, in your case, you already had a good production of LH and FSH.

5wks isn't a very long time. With full TRT, meaning direct testosterone replacement, the average time frame for most men to experience symptomatic relief of any significance is 12wks. From there the symptomatic relief and improvements should continue. It can take upwards of a full year for the full benefits of TRT to be reached. After a year it's all about maintaining. If you have true low testosterone, meaning it cannot be corrected without continuing treatment, you will simply need continuous treatment to maintain good levels.

So how are you feeling on the Clomid? I'm about to start taking it and curious of any side effects.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kramesh View Post
    5 week Clomid Results with Initial Primary Hypogonadism Diagnosis

Hello Forum! I have been perusing for the last few weeks.

I hope some of you may be able to help me with my situation.

I am in my early 30s - pretty healthy (slightly overweight) - 6'1" 220 pounds. (20-25 pounds overweight)

In Feb 2015 - I went to the urologist to get my ED situation checked. He checked my testosterone levels - and I had results of 224ng/dL (range 348-1197) [LOW]

I went back a week later to have them rechecked - tests were
    Total T = 164ng/dL;
    FSH = 19.2 (HIGH);
    LH - 6.0 (Higher end)
    Prolactin = 13.2 (Higher End)

He said I likely have Primary Hypogonadism and before putting me on testosterone replacement, we can check if Clomid works... chances are it will not. Lets.

5 weeks later at 25mg ED Clomid

Testosterone = 466 ng/dL (Range 348-1197)
    Free Testosterone = 12.9 (Range 8.7-25.1)
    SHBG = 21.8nmol (Range 16.5-55.9)
    Prolactin = 6.7 (Range 4.0 - 15.2)
    LH = 13.4 [HIGH] (Range 1.7 - 8.6)
    FSH = 31.0 [HIGH] (Range 1.5 - 12.4)
    Cortisol = 29.6 (HIGH) (Range 2.3 - 19.4)
    ACTH, Plasma = 22.6pg/mL (Range 7.2 - 63.3)
    TSH = 2.56 (0.45 - 4.5)

So my testosterone is up by almost 300 points.. but so is my FSH and LH. If I had primary hypogonadism - then Clomid should not work... however, it seems to be working, albeit not as effectively as others (as I have on the forum).

Most of the people seem to have Low LH and Low FSH - secondary...

Any theories as to what is going on?

Any help?