Thread: Shbg

Shbg

E2 is 23. SHBG 35 and free T 101. TT 633. Age: 63, 5' 5" 139lbs. Don't drink or smoke. How does one lower SHBG? Thanks.

One important thing to consider is that when testosterone levels fall, SHBG levels often go up. Your total testosterone is not horrible at all but it was probably higher at one time and the reduction could have increased SHBG some. Aging also increases SHBG.

Things you can do to lower SHBG:

1. Supplement with Vitamin D3
    2. Avoid Sugar and corn syrup
    3. Limit prescription medications as much as possible. Many prescription medications increase SHBG and even lower testosterone.
    4. Follow a paleo diet.

These things may and that is the key word "MAY" decrease SHBG. There is no guarantee but they're your best option outside of prescriptions. There are also certain steroidal hormones that will lower SHBG but you would need a prescription for them and none of them are legally prescribed in the U.S. for that purpose. I simply bring that up as an informative piece of info.

All in all, when Free testosterone is low, the best thing you can do is to start a testosterone replacement therapy plan. Free testosterone is the most important number. Both Total and Free and important to a degree, but if Free is low Total becomes meaningless.

Justin,

Been doing D3 for a long time and for the past two months, following a gluten free diet, which took off four pounds so far(142 to 138). Carbs overwhelmingly from fruit, though I don't eat the amounts I used to.(Love fruit, not so hot about vegetables). Taking desiccated thyroid, again, but do have to take Klonopin, 1mg, at night, for sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicaldaze View Post
    Justin,

Been doing D3 for a long time and for the past two months, following a gluten free diet, which took off four pounds so far(142 to 138). Carbs overwhelmingly from fruit, though I don't eat the amounts I used to.(Love fruit, not so hot about vegetables). Taking desiccated thyroid, again, but do have to take Klonopin, 1mg, at night, for sleep.
    One thing I neglected to mention in my last post is SHBG often increases as we age. If that's the reason you're has gone up, testosterone supplementation is the only thing that's going to increase Free T.