Thread: Advice

Advice

Hello,

I am 26 and have been diagnosed with low t after getting checked out for fatigue and ed. I am getting married soon and would like to start a family... My t levels have ranged from 230 ng/dl to 320 nd/dl. My highest free testosterone level was 7 ng/dl. I am getting the pituitary gland checked next week. (I don't want to have T levels through the roof, I just want to be able to get maintain an erection again.)

I don't want to second guess the doctor I went to, but I'm a little concerned about what he told me about TRT and fertility. According to him TRT doesn't permanently damage spermatogenesis, but that it might not provide enough testicular testosterone to bring about spermatogenesis. He said that either Clomid or HCG could maintain spermatogenesis during TRT. Does this sound accurate? How expensive are those options?

How would you suggest preserving fertility while treating low T?

Also, what are the side effects I can expect with either combination?
    Last edited by idontdoforums; 10-21-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Your doctor is correct.
    The use of testosterone doesn't kill fertility outright, it does in some men but doesn't in others. In most cases it reduces the odds but there are plenty of men who have kids while using testosterone. Even most bodybuilders have children and they're using massive amounts of testosterone and other steroid hormones.

HCG will help protect fertility. Clomid will make you more fertile.

Clomid is fairly cheap. HCG can be a little expensive if you guy it from a retail pharmacy. Much more affordable from a compounding pharmacy.

Thank you.

The center were I am seeking treatment focuses on TRT, either through gels or injections. I know its a subjective question, but assuming my pituitary indicates secondary hypogonadism, do you think I just jump into full treatment with TRT and HCG, or would it be wise (not to mention cost effective) to start off on clomide and see how that works?

Also, I know I can ask the doctor all this, but I'm anxious and won't be able to see him again for a while. What side effects should I watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by idontdoforums View Post
    Thank you.

The center were I am seeking treatment focuses on TRT, either through gels or injections. I know its a subjective question, but assuming my pituitary indicates secondary hypogonadism, do you think I just jump into full treatment with TRT and HCG, or would it be wise (not to mention cost effective) to start off on clomide and see how that works?

Also, I know I can ask the doctor all this, but I'm anxious and won't be able to see him again for a while. What side effects should I watch out for?
    Hard to say without being able to see your full labs and a consult. Clomid is enough for some men but most men who truly have low testosterone will need actual testosterone, just no way around it in many cases.